Frequently Asked Questions
Find the answer you're looking for in our FAQ section. Search by topic or by keyword using the form below.
- What is Zelle®?
Zelle® is a fast, safe and easy way to send money directly between almost any bank accounts in the U.S., typically within minutes.23 With just an email address or U.S. mobile phone number, you can send money to people you trust, regardless of where they bank.24
- Who can I send money to with Zelle®?
You can send money to friends, family and others you trust.24
Since money is sent directly from your bank account to another person's bank account within minutes, it's important to only send money to people you trust, and always ensure you've used the correct email address or U.S. mobile number.24
- How do I use Zelle®?
You can send, request, or receive money with Zelle®.
- To get started, log into digital banking or your mobile app, navigate to Make a Transfer and select "Send Money with Zelle®". Accept terms and conditions, enter your email address or U.S. mobile phone number, receive a one-time verification code, enter it, and you're ready to start sending and receiving with Zelle®.
- To send money using Zelle®, simply add a trusted recipient's email address or U.S. mobile phone number, enter the amount you'd like to send and an optional note, review, then hit "Send." In most cases, the money is available to your recipient in minutes.23
- To request money using Zelle®, choose "Request," select the individual(s) from whom you'd like to request money, enter the amount you'd like to request, include an optional note, review and hit "Request".25
- To receive money, just share your enrolled email address or U.S. mobile phone number with a friend and ask them to send you money with Zelle®.
- Someone sent me money with Zelle®, how do I receive it?
If you have already enrolled with Zelle®, you do not need to take any further action. The money will be sent directly into your Ascend account, and will be available typically within minutes.23
If you have not yet enrolled with Zelle®, follow these steps:
- Click on the link provided in the payment notification you received via email or text message.
- Select Ascend.
- Follow the instructions provided on the page to enroll and receive your payment. Pay attention to the email address or U.S. mobile number where you received the payment notification – you should enroll with Zelle® using that email address or U.S. mobile number where you received the notification to ensure you receive your money.
- How do I get started with Zelle®?
It's easy – Zelle® is already available within digital banking and our app! Check our app or sign-in online and follow a few simple steps to enroll with Zelle® today.
- What if I want to send money to someone whose financial institution doesn't use Zelle®?
You can find a full list of participating banks and credit unions live with Zelle® here.
If your recipient's financial institution isn't on the list, don't worry! The list of participating financial institutions is always growing, and your recipient can still use Zelle® by downloading the Zelle® app for Android and iOS.
To enroll with the Zelle® app, your recipient will enter their basic contact information, an email address and U.S. mobile number, and a Visa or Mastercard debit card with a U.S.-based account (does not include U.S. territories). Zelle® does not accept debit cards associated with international deposit accounts or any credit cards.
- How does Zelle® work?
When you enroll with Zelle® through your online banking Bill Pay account, or mobile banking app, your name, the name of your financial institution, and the email address or U.S. mobile number you enrolled is shared with Zelle® (no sensitive account details are shared – those stay with your financial institution).
When someone sends money to your enrolled email address or U.S. mobile number, Zelle® looks up the email address or mobile number in its "directory" and notifies your financial institution of the incoming payment. Your financial institution then directs the payment into your bank account, all while keeping your sensitive account details private.
- Can I use Zelle® internationally?
In order to use Zelle®, the sender and recipient's bank accounts must be based in the U.S.